Genelle - NOV 05 2020
DIY Ice Dye at Home!
Many of us are still stuck at home, things can be stressful right now, and well we could all use a creative outlet - am I right? This is why we decided to create a kit that has everything you need to do a fun project or even take up a new hobby! Ice dye is a beautiful tie dye technique that is great for both beginners and artists. Here's all you need to know to get started on your first tie dye project!
What Do I Need to Start Ice Dyeing?
There are a few things you will need to start your ice dye project:
- Bucket to pre-soak clothes in
- Access to warm water to fill bucket
- Pre-washed blank clothing for dyeing
- Soda ash fixer for the pre-soak (included in our ice dye kit)
- Container, deep pan, or shallow tub for the ice dye
- Rack to sit over the container or inside of it
- Bag of ice or snow (enough to cover all of the clothes)
- Rubber bands if you plan to tie the clothes (included in our ice dye kit)
- Gloves + mask for your protection (included in our ice dye kit)
- Protection for surfaces near where you will dye clothes
- Fiber reactive dye shakers (included in our ice dye kit)
- Sink to wash out dye in
- Textile detergent (included in our ice dye kit)
- Wash machine
Step-by-Step Instructions for Ice Dyeing
1. Prep your workspace + items
Use pre-washed garments that are made of natural fibers (ex. cotton, rayon, hemp, bamboo, linen). We have some blank clothing available here.
Use a rack and place it in a deep pan or container
Cover any surfaces around the containers to prevent dye powder from getting on anything.
2. Get Garment Ready
Fill a bucket with enough warm water to cover the clothes you will be dyeing. Mix in the tin of soda ash to the warm water. Allow clothes to soak for about 15 minutes.
Make sure to use gloves & a face mask for the rest of the process. If you want to dye more items, you can reuse the soda ash solution.
Remove items from the soda ash solution & squeeze excess water out until garment is damp, but not dripping.
3. Start Ice Dyeing
Scrunch or tie your garments at this time & place them on the rack.
Cover everything in ice or snow. We suggest completely covering the garments with ice for best results.
Take your dye shakers and start sprinking the dye over the ice. As ice melts, colors will mix forming beautiful new colors and patterns.
4. Washing Out + Finishing Up
Allow garments to sit for at least 10 hours. Carefully take your containers to a sink & start rinsing with cold water until water runs mostly clear. You can remove your ties/bands now & run the garments under warm water until water runs clear.
Place garments in wash machine & add textile detergent. Wash in hot water. Hang to dry. Enjoy your beautiful creation!
Why Use the Akasha Sun Ice Dye Kit?
There are many kits out on the market for both tie dyeing and ice dyeing at home. We looked at a lot of the options out there, and decided to create our own kit.
The differences between our kit and many others on the market:
1. Our kit is more sustainable. We decided to go the extra mile and use only glass and tin containers instead of plastic bags or bottles. All of our containers are totally reusable for so many things. We will even take your used containers back and recycle them!
2. Our ice dye kits are professional-grade. We only use the highest quality dyes and chemicals on our own clothing, and it's no different with our kits.
3. We include higher quantities of soda ash and textile detergent. We noticed most ice dye kits either do not include soda ash, or the amount you get is not sufficient. Soda ash is the fixer that you pre-soak your clothes in. This helps the fiber reactive dyes to adhere to the clothing. The textile detergent is rarely included in kits, which can be a problem if you want your dyes to adhere to the fabric long-term and stay vibrant.
Our sustainable ice dye kits make great gifts for tie dye lovers, DIYers, parties, and artists! They are perfect for all ages, and the possibilities are endless with what you can create.